Thursday, November 13, 2008

To cook, or not to cook?

So I decided to be good and make home-made chicken noodle soup with home-made noodles. I started when the kids were asleep and at school, but they were soon my big helpers! All except Trey. He has texture issues and wouldn't touch the dough. As he sat and watched us he asked" what ah you guys doin'"? I told him just making noodles. His reply "well why ah ya doin' dat, cause ya not weally a cook." I said, "oh really? Well if I'm not the cook then who is, Dad"? He stood there for a minute and said "no not you, not Dad, not Wainey oah
Poh-tah ...Guess I'm da own-wy cook awound heah"! I laughed because he is just so matter of fact all of the time. The way he says things you know he thinks that there is no way he is wrong! Such a funny guy. We had Jim's sister and brother-in-law in town, and also took dinner to some friends.

Fast forward 2 nights. I was making cookies at about 9pm. I started throwing the ingredients into the Bosh. Jim was correcting school papers but just happened to come to the kitchen. He saw what I was doing and said "you're making cookies, right"? I said yes "he sat pondering for a minute and said "well you know that is pancake batter right"? "Are you kidding"? I chimed back "because that is what I used to make egg noodles the other night". I dumped the ingredients out and started over. I guess Trey was right. I'm really not the cook! Sorry everyone who we fed! Needless to say no one complained, and even I ate and didn't think anything was wrong! I did however permanently mark the flour container!!!



3 comments:

The Brugger Bunch said...

What a charming post! What a great mama you are! I love that you have your children help, you are wonderful!!! That sounds so yummy!I am so sorry that I am so late in writing back! I AM SO EXCITED that Kam is doing your pictures! You won't be sorry! She is amazing and one of the most loving and compassionate people that I have ever met. She has this amazing way of capturing your whole soul in a picture. I will email you my cell number so that hopefully we can get in touch! Have a great day my friend!

Elder and Sister McEvoy said...

Pancake cookies are a REAL hit here in Russia!

Jeff & Erin said...

That is funny! It makes me laugh a little extra because I had made a cake once and it didn't turn out, I was on my third attempt when Jeff came in and told me that I was using pancake batter and not flour!