Sunday, November 9, 2008

NEW DAFOs and SHOES

Well about once a year the time comes for sweet little Trey to get new DAFOs (Dah-foh), aka leg braces. Along with the DAFOs come new shoes because the braces are always a couple of sizes bigger than the last ones. The leg braces are made with casts of Treys legs, with which they make a mold to make the brace. One for each leg. The whole process takes at least 3 weeks and that is if there aren't any problems with insurance. The braces increase stabilization of Trey's leg and help to keep proper alignment. The difference is amazing with and without DAFOs. Trey thinks they are pretty cool. This time he chose a strap with flames and the rest black! He said that was so he could" be as fast as lightning"! To find shoes that will actually fit the braces is a joke. This time we spent 3 hours at the mall trying on shoes. We bought the first pair that fit! We are glad this is a once a year thing because these puppies run about $1,700!!!

One of my favorite stories about Trey is as follows. We were at the store one day and Trey insisted on walking. I got him out and got his sticks. He was walking allover and getting pretty tired after walking after maybe 10 minutes. I asked him if he wanted to get in the cart with the other boys to which he replied "I am NOT getting in da stinking caht. I am a big boy and I can walk just, wike, you." I was trying to be patient so I said ok. I saw a lady watching us from the corner of my eye. People "watch" Trey like crazy anywhere we go. After she followed us for a minute she looked at me and said "why can't he walk"? (a common question) to which I reply "his legs don't work quite right, so he gets 4 legs"! most people drop it at that. Trey piped right up and was talking loudly (okay, yelling) "I can too walk, see"? he said as he took the 5 steps it took to get in front of her. She replied "well, yes he CAN walk, but what's wrong with him"? I was frustrated because Trey was catching on and I didn't want him to feel bad. By then Trey was right in front of her and again said "I can too walk" as he picked up one of his sticks and hit her right in the shin!!! I had to keep from busting up. If I would have had my choice I might have done the same thing! I quickly apologized and told Trey that wasn't ok after we all but ran away. He said "well, it dwives me cwazy when she says dat. I AM a big boy now". I told him he was a big boy and we didn't need to worry about that lady because she didn't know how big he was. Then to my delight we were right next to a big display of candy. I told Trey to pick anything he wanted. Bubblegum was all it took to end the story!
Nike shocks were the lucky winner of "FAT SHOES". The ONLY pair we could find wide enough to work.
What a strapping young lad! Trey is hilarious and always has me laughing and smiling. I love you Trey! You are one special BIG BOY!!!

5 comments:

The Brugger Bunch said...

Oh my friend, I am crying and laughing at the same time! LOL! What a tender and loving little man. You are a great mama my friend, I am in awe of you! Oh I just want to love him!

Brittanie said...

Oh that is the BEST story! I can't think of quick and cunning things to say like that to people who talk about Allyssa. GOOD JOB and WAY TO GO TREY for telling her off.
I feeel your pain on the new shoes...we are scheduled to get new ones Jan.6th. Have you checked Hatchback shoes?

heather and fam said...

Out of the mouths of babes! You tell that nosy lady Trey!The nerve of people...especially when Trey is right there! Hopefully the hit to the shins made it hurt for her to walk....

Okay I'm not really saying that he should hit people, but it was darn funny! Love you guys!

Elder and Sister McEvoy said...

Trey, MY MAN,

You da best and the flames are COOL!!

Keep trucking big boy. When we get home we will go a long walk together, OK?

Grandpa Mac

Christina said...

Wow, I love that story! And I think Trey did the right thing! What nerve, that lady! That is too funny...and that's got to be FRUSTRATING for you guys as his parents (esp when he gets it)

Can't wait to see you soon, make sure to check out our new family pictures on the blog we just took! They turned out so cute!