Monday, October 6, 2008

BIG BOY TREY!

Trey strapped into the stander playing, you guessed it...Wii!!!

TREY WITH HIS THERAPIST, SERGIO. THIS IS THE FAMOUS SUIT. YOU CAN SEE ALL OF THE BUNGEE CORDS.

Well, things in Provo are as crazy as ever. Trey started an intensive therapy program a week ago. We took him out of school for 3 weeks because that is how long his session lasts. He goes to therapy from 8am-12pm Monday through Friday for 3 whole weeks. We have truly been blessed to be able to send him to this place. It is called NOW I CAN. We have already seen big improvements. Trey is so much more confident. He tries to walk most of the time instead of crawl, which is HUGE! We are also seeing him be able to hold his balance longer, get up to a standing position by himself not holding onto anything, and not drag his left leg as much. We will for sure be taking one of his cruthces away when he is done, and we hope to be able to take them both away!!! Trey is having a hard time working so hard for 20 hours a week, but he is tolerating it. They let him play Wii everyday as part of therapy, so that keeps him going. That might actually be the only thing that gets him to the end of the day!

There are a couple of funny things that have happened with this whole ordeal. When I was first explaining to Trey where he was going to go and what they were going to do, he wasn't all that interested because it had to do with therapy. He has been to NOW I CAN for some maintenence therapy, but he doesn't remember. So I said to him "they put you in a suit and put bungee cords that help us strengthen your legs so you will be able to walk. In true trey fashion he says "um, mom I alweady CAN walk". I took a second to respond and then told him I meant walk without his sticks. He replies "wew, I don't know what kind of stwange people put udder people in a suit foah thewapy. Dat is so stwange. It's just weally wead (wierd). I don't know, but that is just stwange. I don't fink I'm gonna go deh". I had to stop talking about it because I was laughing so hard. We have been told by several doctors and other medical personnel that when your brain has defecits, it over-compensates in other areas. Trey shows us that. His vocabulary is going to surpass mine in no time!!! He is so smart.

He also informed the therapists at NOW I CAN the first day he wasn't going to follow the NO CRAWLING rule because "I actuwy cwal fastah dan I walk, so I'm gonna cwal." They weren't quite sure how to respond because a lot of the kids they see aren't so articulate. They finally just started laughing and told him how smart he was, but he would have to follow the rule at NOW I CAN! I will post pictures when I figure out how to download to the PC!! Until then PRAY FOR TREY. He has been so blessed and we hope it continues!!! Love to all, TIFF

2 comments:

heather and fam said...

OH Man...I am laughing so dang hard. I can just picture him saying that! I love that boy---he is adorable and so dang funny. Hope Jim is still doing well. Tell everyone hi from us!

Elder and Sister McEvoy said...

You the man Trey.

Keep it up, both the therapy and the hard time you give them with your words.
Go TREY!

--Grandpa Mac